Ashford's meaning goes back to Old English and indicates a ford near a group of ash-trees. It was recorded in the Domesday Book as Essetesford. Other spellings include Essetesford, Eshetisford, Esselesford, Asshatisforde and Essheford.
Ashford parish church is dedicated to St Mary the virgin and dates from the 13th Century, although it was substantially restored in the 15th century with many alterations since The entire church, was renovated 1475, the aisles were heightened, new windows inserted, battlements added, and the bell-tower raised. Unusually, when the church was restored in 1860 the architect Ewan Christian kept the galleries (he usually swept them away), but Christ Church had yet to be built and the population of this growing town would have needed all the accommodation it could get. Even in 1851 1000 people had attended the church in a single sitting. The pulpit, designed by Pearson, was made in 1897.
Ashford's importance as a growing agricultural and market town was confirmed in 1243 when it was incorporated, and by the end of the 16th Century it had risen to become an important market town, primarily for livestock. The market was held in the High Street until 1856 when local farmers and businessmen relocated to Elwick Road and formed a market company that claims to be the oldest surviving registered company in England and Wales.
Ashford's connection with the railway commenced on 1st December 1842 with the opening of a section of the South Eastern Railways line from London to Dover, via Ashford. Initially a terminus until the line was extended in June 1843 to Folkestone. SER obtained parliamentary approval to build a line from Ashford to Margate in 1844. Soon after arriving, in the town, SER constructed a large locomotive works on a 185 acre site, which would be developed further in the years that followed....more