Folkestone was first recorded as far back as the late 7th Century in the guise of Folcanstan. The name probably refers to the 'stone of Folca', Folca being a common Saxon man's name. The stone probably marked a meeting place.
The History of Folkestone probably began with the fact of its proximity to the Continent, when groups of Brythonic invaders occupied East Kent. The Romans followed, and after them the Saxons. A Norman knight held the Barony of Folkestone, by which time the settlement had become a fishing village. That led to its entry as a part of the Cinque Ports in the thirteenth century; and with that the privilege of being a wealthy trading port. At the start of the Tudor period, it had become a town in its own right. Wars with France meant that defences had to be built; and soon plans for a Folkestone Harbour began to be made. Folkestone, like most settlements on the south coast, became involved in smuggling during the 18th Century. At the beginning of the 18th Century, a harbour became reality, but it was the coming of the railways in mid-century that proved to be the town�s future. With it came the tourist trade, and the two industries, port and seaside resort, which were the making of its prosperity.....more
Folkestone's main parish church is is dedicated Saint Mary and Saint Eanswythe. The church is located towards one end of the town's High Street and has been the site of religious observance for over 800 years. The church has strong links with King Eadbald of Kent and was burnt to the ground in 1217 only to be rebuilt. The Victorian's spent a great deal of time and money on restoring the church in the 1880s.....more
The railway reached Folkestone on 28 June 1843, although the building of the Foord viaduct delayed further extension until the following year, when what was to become Folkestone Junction station was opened. Once the line was opened to Dover, the town's prosperity grew and, further stations were opened at Folkestone West (originally named Shorncliffe Camp) in 1863, and Folkestone Central in 1884. Folkestone Harbour station was used to trans-ship whole trains; the line from the junction was very steep and needed additional locomotive help. The entire line closed in 2002; Folkestone Junction station had closed 6 September 1965. The Leas Cliff Railway connects the Leas with the beach and was opened as twin lines in 1885; a second set was added in 1890, although these closed in Oct 1966.
In preparation against a French invasion early in the 19th Century a series of Towers, known as 'Martello Towers' were built around the Kent and Sussex coast. The first four were in the Folkestone area. Tower 1 stands 200 feet up on the cliffs above East Wear Bay, within sight of Towers 2 and 3 below. Tower 2 is about 50 feet lower than No.1, and sited on a small knoll slightly further inland, where Wear Bay Road is now situated. Tower 3 stands on the cliffs above Copt Point and overlooks the harbour below. Tower 4, built into deep dry moats, and situated within the Shorncliffe Camp area, up on the heights overlooking the coastline.