Sandwich is, most likely, Saxon in origin, approximately meaning 'sandy place', or the 'place on the sand'. Strand Street was the quay when the river was wider. The name 'Strand', most likely derives from the Saxon word 'stronde' meaning 'land bordering a river or sea'.
Sandwich, was founded by the Saxons on the coast at the mouth of the River Stour. Since then the river has silted up and Sandwich is 2 miles inland, with fields and golf courses juxtaposed between it and the sea. An original Cinque Port, Sandwich was one of England's most important naval bases, yet by the 15th century it was no longer even a harbour, but a cloth manufacturing town, its continued prosperity coming from refugee Flemish weavers who sailed there. When the cloth industry declined, Sandwich became an exclusive golfing resort, with the Royal St. George's Golf Club
The parish church is dedicated to St Clement and was built in the 12th Century, almost certainly replacing an earlier Saxon building. In the 13th Century a chancel, with a north chapel was added to the plain church with no aisle and a central tower. In the 14th Century, a south chapel was added.
Sandwich was a fine railway station, when it opened with the South Eastern Railway's extension from Minster to Deal on 1st July 1847. It was certainly worthy of the renowned golf course which followed it forty years later.