Dunton Green was originally Dunington, or 'Dunn's estate', from the Saxon word 'tun' meaning 'estate'. The 'Green' was added later.
Dunton Green station came into use with the Chislehurst to Sevenoaks section of the South Eastern Railway's Tonbridge cut-off line, on 2nd March 1868.
The original ecclesiastical parish of Dunton Green was part of the Otford parish. In 1908, the community of Dunton Green was separated from Otford and became a parish in its own right, with its church, St. John the Divine, built in 1890. Mr Samuel Wreford was the local squire and the principal benefactor of the church. However, due to falling congregations, the church closed in 1985.