Deal means a settlement at a 'hollow or valley' from the Saxon word In the Domesday Book Deal is spelt Addelam, and recorded as a village.
Deal gradually grew from a small fishing village, and was named a 'limb port' of the Cinque Ports in 1278. Due to its position on the Downs, the town grew to become, for a while, the busiest port in England.
Julius Caesar is said to have landed at Deal in 55 and 54BC.
To protect the coast Henry VIII built new castles at Sandgate, Deal and Walmer as defence against the Catholic powers in Europe. The castles were all built to a uniform plan with a circular central tower, and flanking semi-circular turrets, making a clover leaf pattern.
Deal really started to flourish in the mid-1600's. In the age of sailing ships, the sheltered Deal coast was a haven. At times, there would be hundreds of ships anchored off the coast bringing business and prosperity to the area. The town also became infamous for smuggling.
In January 1784, the rampant smuggling prompted Prime Minister William Pitt to send soldiers to Deal. Due to a storm, all the boats were on the shore and the soldiers set light to them all. The prosperity of the smugglers meant that this was only a temporary inconvenience.
.
The part Norman, parish church, is dedicated to St Leonard of Limoges, an Abbot who lived in France during the 6th century. Some sources give credence to a place of worship having been on the site since Saxon times.
The Nave and chancel contain the earliest remaining architecture, although the chancel was remodelled in the 13th century, with the enlargement of the narrow north and south aisles. A tower was also added, although it collapsed in the mid-17th century due to the church falling in to ill repair prior to the reformation.
A new tower was completed, with a peal of five bells, in 1686. The bells were recast in 1887, with a sixth bell being added, as a jubilee gift from Captain George Coleman, who later became mayor of Deal. A clock was added to the tower in 1715 and replaced in 1866.
Deal Station opened for passenger traffic on 1st July 1847
.