Appledore means an apple tree; the Town is therefore 'a place by the apple tree'.
Appledore or Apuldre, as it was known at one time, first comes to prominence when, in the year 892, 250 Viking ships landed and set up camp, as part of a greater invasion plan. Alfred the Great, managed to out manoeuvre and eventually see them off. Early in the 14th century, Edward II granted permission for the Town to hold a market.
Appledore was a busy port on the Rother Estuary when in 1380 it was again invaded, this time by the French, who burned the village and church, with the exception of the tower, which still remains. Unfortunately, a series of storms in the 1300's diverted the River Rother and following the effects of silting the village found itself 8 miles inland.