Worth comes from the Old English ‘worð’ meaning an ‘enclosure’. The letter ‘d’ in
the Saxon language is the same sound as the modern ‘th’.
Worth parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Peter and
Saint Paul. The Normans built the church in the 12th century and remodelled it a
hundred years later. The Reverend Bryan Faussett records two bells in 1759. In 1800,
Edward Hasted describes Worth church as ‘a small mean building, having a low pointed
wooden turret at the west end, in which are two bells. The church consists of a nave,
two isles, and a chancel, the north isle extending only about halfway towards the
west end’. The architect, James Brooks carried out a restoration in 1888, and in
the same year, Gillett & Co added a clock and clock bell.