Swanleywas just a small hamlet of three houses, when the Sevenoaks Railway opened
a branch line joining the London Chatham and Dover Railway’s (LC&DR) London Victoria
to Dover mainline at what became known as Swanley Junction. The junction, opened
on 2 June 1862, just a few hundred yards from what is now Swanley village. The LC&DR
built a large station at the junction which opened on 2 July 1862. As with many other
places, the population, around Swanley station, grew, and to separate the two places
the smaller became known as Swanley Village.
Swanley Village church is a Grade: II listed building, and dedicated to Saint Paul.
The Victorian architect Ewen Christian built the church in 1861, with much of the
internal fixtures by the first vicar Rev M S Edgell. Brothers John and William Eastwood,
the vicar’s brothers-in-law added the tower and decorated the interior. Charles and
George Mears cast a bell in 1860, with Mears and Stainbank adding two more in 1867.