Shorne comes from the Old English word ‘scoren’, meaning a ‘steep precipitous place’;
therefore, a ‘steep place’. The Textus Roffensis records Shorne as Scorene.
Shorne parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Peter and
Saint Paul. The Normans built it in the 12th century, with the addition of the chancel
and north chapel in the 13th century. The 14th century, saw the construction of the
north and south aisles, with the tower and porch in the next 100 years. In 1797,
Edward Hasted describes the font, at Shorne church, as ‘very curious and antient,
of Bethersden marble, it is octangular, the eight compartments round the bason being
filled with sculptures of scriptural history. It is very similar to that in Southfleet
church, and therefore probably of the same age.’ In 1803, Thomas Mears cast and hung
a ring of six bells. In 1873, the architect T H Wyatt restored the church and built
the south chapel.