Shepherdswell comes from the Anglian word ‘wald’ meaning a ‘forest; high forest-land’
combined with a warlord’s name. The Domesday Book chronicles Shepherdswell as Sibertesuualt.
Shepherdswell parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Andrew.
The architect Benjamin Ferrey built it in 1863, replacing an earlier small two cell
church of nave and chancel, and no tower, and recorded in the Domesday Book. In 1800,
Edward Hasted describes the old church as consisting of a ‘nave and chancel. It has
no tower, but there is one bell in it’.