Loose (pronounced Lose) comes from the Old English ‘hlōse’meaning a ‘pig-sty’; therefore
Loose parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to All
Saints, and built in the 13th century as a Chapel-of-Ease to Maidstone. John Wotton
– master of Maidstone College – restored it early in the 15th century. In 1550, an
unknown founder cast and hung two treble bells. Joseph Hatch added a tenor in 1603.
In 1798, Edward Hasted described All Saint’s church as a ‘small building with a pointed
steeple’. The Georgians added the north aisle in 1820 and the Victorians the south
aisle and porch in 1860. They rebuilt the nave in 1879 following a fire, with further
alterations ten years later.