Linton comes from the Old English ‘ing’ meaning a ‘connective particle, linking the
first and final element’ with ‘tūn’ as an ‘enclosure, a farmstead, village’ combined
with a warlord’s name; therefore, a ‘farm/settlement connected with Lill/Lilla’.
Linton parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
The Normans built the original single cell church, and from simple beginnings, it
grew over the next 200 years. Substantial rebuilding took place in the 1560’s. In
1717, John Waylett cast and hung three bells in the tower, with Thomas Lester adding
a tenor in 1746 and another two years later. In 1798, Edward Hasted described St
Nicholas’ church as a ‘small building with a spire steeple, situated on the east
side of the village’. Thomas Mears II cast a bell, to total six, in 1824. In 1860,
the Victorian architect R C Hussey restored the Linton church including rebuilding
the tower and spire. In 1920, Alfred Bowell added two trebles to complete eight bells.