Copyright Kent Past 2010
The History of Kent
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month
History of Kenardington
Kenardington comes from the Old English ‘tūn’ meaning an ‘enclosure, a farmstead, a village’ and ‘ing’ as a ‘connective particle, linking the first and final element’ combined with a warlord’s name; therefore, a ‘farm/settlement connected with Cyneheard’.
The Saxons built a small fort (600m x 550m) towards the end of the 9th century, although, it could not resist a Danish raiding party in 892AD, who having achieved a swift victory moved on to Appledore where they established a camp.
Kenardington parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Mary
the Virgin. The Saxons built the first church in the 10th century, which the Normans
rebuilt in stone, in the 12th century. The French sacked the church and village in
the 14th century during the Hundred Years War. In 1559, lightning started a fire,
causing the collapse of the nave, chancel and north aisle. The ruins provided a smaller
church – the former south aisle and reduced chancel -