Eythorne comes from the Old English ‘born’ meaning a ‘hawthorn-tree’ combined with
a personal name; therefore, ‘Heahgy’s hawthorn-tree’.
Eythorne parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Peter and
Saint Paul. The Normans built the church around 1200, with the perpendicular north
tower constructed 300 years later. Between, 1442 and 1468 William Chamberlain cast
and hung two bells. Joseph Hatch added a treble in 1622. In 1800, Edward Hasted described
the Eythorne church as ‘small, consisting of a body and north isle, and two chancels,
having a square tower, with battlements at the west end’. The Victorians carried
out a major restoration and added the south vestry in 1874. In 1896, John Warner
added a treble bell to make four, which Mears and Stainbank increased to five with
a treble in 1924.
Eythorne railway station opened on the East Kent Light Railway, on 16 October 1916.
It closed to passenger traffic on 30 October 1948.