Crockham Hill comes from the Old English ‘crundel’ meaning a ‘chalk-pit, quarry’
with ‘ham’ as a ‘village, homestead’ and ‘hyll’ for ‘hill’; therefore, the ‘quarry
village on the hill’.
Crockham Hill parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to the Holy
Trinity. Charles Warde of Squerryes Court, Westerham and his sister Mrs E Mildmay
funded the construction of the church in 1842. Although the designer is unknown,
the plan follows medieval architecture. Crockham Hill became a separate parish in