The History of Kent
Copyright Kent Past 2010
History of Chatham Station
Chatham station opened on 25 January 1858, when the East Kent Railway opened a single
line eastwards to Faversham. Two months later, On 29 March, the link with the North
Kent Line at Strood opened; and the new railway reached Dover Priory in 1861.
Chatham station was squeezed within a 50-
Due to increased traffic, brought about by the completion of the line from Victoria to Ramsgate in 1863, the station was completely redesigned to increase platform capacity. The main building was moved from the platform and constructed on a road bridge straddling the station. Much of the sidings and sheds were replaced by two additional platforms, which were all linked with a fully enclosed footbridge. By this time, signalling had made advances and two signal boxes were incorporated into the new design, one at either end of the station.
On 2 July 1939, work commenced on the electrification of the line, as a result, electric lighting illuminated the platforms, whilst the locomotive turntable, now being redundant, was removed.
During the British Rail era many more changes were made, including colour light signalling, reduced platforms, from five to two, and by 1959, the signal boxes had been removed and replaced by a central box at Rochester.
Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month