Chart Sutton comes from the Old English ‘cert’ meaning ‘rough ground’ with the affix
from nearby Sutton Valance. The Domesday Book records Chart Sutton as Certh.
Chart Sutton parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to Saint Michael.
The church is of the 14th century, although rebuilt by the architect Henry Holland,
following a fire, which destroyed all but the walls in 1779. Chapman and Mears cast
and hung a ring of six bells in 1783. The Victorians made alterations turning the
church into a more traditional structure.