Copyright Kent Past 2010

Kent Past


The History of Kent

Home Towns & Villages Time-Line Articles Kent Past Times Contact

Leave your email address to receive Kent Past Times free every month

History of Birchington

Birchington comes from the Old English words 'bircen' meaning ‘ where birch-trees grow’ and 'tūn' as an ‘enclosure, a farmstead’; therefore, a ‘farm/settlement where birch-trees grow’. In 1240, we find Birchington recorded as Birchenton.


Birchington parish church is a Grade: II listed building, dedicated to All Saints, although dedicated to Saint Cathryn prior to 1475. The Saxons built the first church as a Chapel-of Ease to St Mary Magdalen, Monkton, which continued until 1871. The Normans rebuilt the church in the 12th century, adding the chancel and tower early in the following century. In 1728, there is a record of five bells. In 1800, Edward Hasted described the Birchington church as ‘a handsome building, situated on a rising ground; it consists of a nave and two isles, reaching but half the length of it, and what is remarkable, they are all spanned by a single roof; beyond these are three chancels’. In 1863, the Victorian architect, C N Beazley, carried out a major restoration, destroying much of the late medieval fabric in an attempt to make the style of the church coherently 13th century. The Dean and Chapter made Birchington a parish in 1871. John Warner added a treble bell in 1887, and Mears and Stainbank completed the ring of eight in 1901 with two trebles…. more

Birchington-on-Sea railway station (originally known as Birchington) opened on the London Chatham and Dover Railway’s Herne Bay to Ramsgate section of the Faversham to Ramsgate route, on 5 October 1863…. more




View Larger Map