The name Burmarsh refers to the 'people living in the fortress on the marsh'. The seventh century name was Burwaramers, where the Saxon 'wara' means dwellers, combined with 'burh', for a stronghold, and mersc 'Marsh'.
The Romans used the area to provide salt for the Empire. Burmarsh is one of the earliest known Romney Marsh settlements. The manor of Burmarsh was given to St Augustine's Priory at Canterbury before 1066.
The church is dedicated to All Saints, and has watched over the village for in excess of 900 years since being built by the monks from Canterbury after the arrival of William the Conqueror, in 1066. Although much of the present All Saints' church is Norman, the chancel was once a Saxon chapel. The porch dates from the 17th century. At the end of the nineteenth century, the interior of the church was modernised, with the old box pews, three-tier pulpit and sounding board being replaced.
On the 16th July 1927, the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway was opened. The station at Burmarsh Road had two platforms, a ticket office, waiting room and signals. It was demolished and reduced to a halt in 1948, although this too was closed in 1949, through lack of use.